Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Channeling My Inner Mike Rosian

Hey everyone!

We are finally at the home stretch of our class and now is the time to kick it into gear to really work hard on our final projects.  How has it been going for me you may ask? Well, I have been working on my teaching philosophy for the class and it has been an interesting experience.  I wrote my first draft as a very structured academic essay with a centered thesis and supporting arguments using the texts we've read in class; however, I am considering doing a more personal approach to the project by writing a personal response about my experiences with writing in and out of classes.  I think this might help me hone in on my inner-Mike-Rosian to create a styled and personal narrative that will help bring my thoughts to surface.  By creating a personal response, I think I'll be more centered within my topic and be able to understand the journey I took through literacy.

As for the content of my paper, I am drawing inspiration from Peter Elbow and his use of bringing out the voice of his students.  I really liked his example of publishing his students' work into their own class book so that they felt they had the same authority as the authors they were studying.  That just sounds so awesome and it would really help with establishing confidence amongst the students if they were a published writer (much like how this blog helps me feel like a published writer!).  I think the use of free writing would lead to a lot of great ideas, much like how the free writing we did in class spurred some interesting personal reflections.

Let's all keep working hard and charge forth!

No comments:

Post a Comment